Since 1984, Camp Oochigeas has been providing kids with and affected by childhood cancer with unique opportunities for growth through challenging, fun, enriching and magical experiences.
Receiving no government or hospital funding, Ooch relies on the generous support of community events like the Muskoka Rocks Road Races.
MAKING A DIFFERENCE!
The heart of Camp Oochigeas (Ooch) lives in Muskoka, within the people and the landscape that do so much to help nurture our campers. Thanks to Lynn and Laurel, the Muskoka Rocks Road Race builds awareness about the work of Camp Ooch and celebrates giving kids with cancer what they need – the chance to be a kid!
The Muskoka Rocks Road Race has been a valued partner and friend of Ooch for the last 14 years. We are incredibly grateful to Lynn, Laurel and the Muskoka community for their dedication and enthusiasm. Because of people like you we have the ability to share the Magic of Ooch (video) with over 450 kids each summer.
Kids like Maggie who say, “Ooch is there when we need it most, it’s a place where we can grow, love and learn. Ooch is a place where we can express ourselves and not be judged or feel like we aren’t good enough. Ooch is there when we need a shoulder to lean on and where friends stay in our hearts forever. Ooch is not just a camp but a home.”
On behalf of the kids and families we serve, thank you.
Executive Director, Camp Oochigeas
M.R.R.R. & CAMP OOCH
Over the past 14 years, the Muskoka Rocks Road Race has raised over an amazing $650,000 for Camp Oochigeas (Ooch)! The money raised through this event allows Ooch to provide camp programming to kids with and affected by childhood cancer at no cost to the camper families. Each year runner’s sign up for the Muskoka Rocks FUNdraising Challenge, where participants collect pledges in support of their race, as well as promote competition between friends or even other cottages!
SIGN UP & MAKE A DIFFERENCE
Fundraising is easy! To get started Click Here to sign up to fund-raise (PLEASE NOTE: this will NOT register you for the race). Once you’ve signed up as a fundraiser, you can personalize your fundraising page with photos and a personalized message, as well, you can send out emails asking for support, thank you messages and much more!
If you have any questions about fundraising for Camp Ooch through the Muskoka Rocks Road Race, please contact Juliana Jajacic at (416) 961-6624 x.277.
- Make a list – contact everyone on that list you know and ask, ask and then ask again!
- Aim high! – Set an ambitious goal to show your passion and commitment! (It will inspire others to do the same!)
- Send emails to friends, family and coworkers – Invite those close to you to join you in raising funds to send kids with cancer to Camp!
- Personalize your fundraising page – tell a story about who you are and why you joined the Fundraising Challenge! It will inspire others to get involved and support your event participation – don’t forget to include pictures!
- Ask for a specific amount – Align your fundraising ask with a value that has direct meaning i.e. $250 will send a child with cancer to Camp for one day of laughter, friendship and fun!
- See if your work matches donations – Approach your company (or a company you are connected with) to sponsor you or make pledges towards your goal.
- Use Social Media to reach out! – Post it, Tweet it, Blog it!
- Thank your supporters – When you receive a donation, let them know that their contribution is important to you and that you appreciate it. You can send thank you emails directly from your Ooch fundraising page and track who you have sent them to.
- As a registered charity that does not receive government funding, we rely on the generosity of volunteers and donors in to provide Ooch programming at no cost to campers and their families.
- Camp Ooch maintains a 1:1 adult to camper ratio with the support of over 450 volunteers.
- Ooch remains the only overnight camp in Ontario to offer IV chemotherapy and blood transfusions on site so even children in the intense phase of their cancer treatment can still experience the Magic of Ooch (video).
- Only 18 cents from every dollar donated goes to fundraising and administrative costs.
- With Overnight Camp in Muskoka, the In Hospital program at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids), three other pediatric hospitals and various other healthcare centres across Ontario and Ooch Downtown, there are more days of Ooch programming than there are days of the year.
- Ooch Downtown is the only facility of its kind in North America. It lets Ooch connect with children and families close to home in a family-centered care model.
Donations are gratefully accepted at https://www.ooch.org/camp/ways-to-give/monthly-giving, or on race day. Tax receipts will be issued for donations of $25.00 and over. For more information about the Camp and how you can help, visit Camp Oochigeas’ website at www.ooch.org
Overnight Camp (Summer) give campers the opportunity to challenge themselves to try new activities including archery, fishing, arts and crafts and a ropes course in a traditional camp setting. Fall and winter Weekends at Camp (WAC’s) provide new adventures such as snowshoeing, pumpkin carving and a chance to reconnect with friends made at Overnight Camp. In Toronto, there are multiple day programs all year round that give children who are unaccustomed to or unable to attend summer camp opportunities to participate.
These kids make lifelong friends with others who are undergoing similar experiences while participating in camp-style programs! Camp Oochigeas is a registered charity that does not receive government or hospital funding, and relies on the generosity of volunteers and donors in order to provide kids with and affected by childhood cancer with fun-filled camp experiences alongside excellent medical care at no cost to their families. The ongoing support of the Muskoka Rocks Road Race helps Camp Oochigeas give kids with cancer what they need – the chance to be a kid!
THE PROFESSIONALS SPEAK
“The amazing thing about Ooch is seeing kids who were in the hospital every day the week before, sick and weak, watching them climbing rock walls, canoeing, laughing – and forgetting why they were in the hospital at all.”
Dr. David Malkin – Pediatric Oncologist
We are happy to announce that the Serenity Garden, funded by the Muskoka Rocks Road races will be in full bloom this year. Many species of plants are indigenous to Muskoka and will thrive in that environment. We want to thank Brackenrig Nurseries and the Muskoka Heritage Foundation for their assistance.
© Muskoka Rocks Road Race 2017.
All Rights Reserved.
” A huge thank you to the Race Directors, Lynn Keane and Laurel Brooks, and their team of volunteers and supporters who put on an amazing race!”
“Ran the whole race!”
“A huge thank you to the Race Directors, Lynn Keane and Laurel Brooks, and their team of volunteers and supporters who put on an amazing race!”
“Seriously hilly 10k made all the afternoon ice cream worth it.”